LAUNDRY 101: How to Wash Cashmere
1. To get started, fill a clean sink with lukewarm water and a quarter-size dollop of a gentle laundry detergent, mixing it into the water with your hands.
2. Put the garment in the basin, and gently work the soapy water through the fabric. Avoid rubbing or twisting the delicate fibers. Don’t worry if you see dye seep into the water, especially if this is one of the first times you’ve washed the garment.
3. Allow the item to soak for 30 minutes or so. Drain the sink, then rinse the garment until the water runs clean and the clothing is free of detergent.
4. Gently squeeze excess water out, making sure not to wring the delicate fabric. Lay the garment flat on a big, absorbent bath towel. Roll the garment in the towel, and press to absorb excess water. On another clean, dry towel, lay out the garment. Reshape if necessary, and leave it to dry. Depending on the humidity, drying can sometimes take a few days. If the underside remains damp, turn it over.
5. If you’ll be storing your cashmere until next winter, tuck a scented dryer sheet into the drawer or storage container.